Thursday 7 February 2013

Tempus fugit and all that...

You know I should be writing an assignment when I'm on here two days in a row...

I was looking ahead at my courses this afternoon, and realised that they both finish in May. I thought it was July, so that means I'll have four lovely months when I can read what I want and not have to refer to Freud. My spell-checker butted in again there, and asked if I meant 'fraud'? It comes to the same thing, I think. I am so sick of children's books being totally wrecked by what seems to me to be over-analysis and a huge reliance on things having hidden agendas. (Sorry, that was a very long sentence to not have commas.) Peter Rabbit is about death, Treasure Island is about castration, and everything else is about sex or how you really fancy your dad, but didn't know it. 

 
(Photo: http://hookedoninterwebs.tumblr.com)

Harry Potter has been criticized for not having a girl as a main character, I've read. Isn't this just adults reading children's books and trying to find fault? Children just read the story, don't they? And surely we should just be grateful that some authors get more children reading books. Would all those boys who love Harry Potter have read it if it featured Harriet instead? 

Son-Number-One loved the story of Peter Rabbit so much when he was little that I got to know it off by heart. I believe the first line is, 'Once upon a time, there were four little rabbits, and their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter.' Not bad going, considering I last read it to him about 14 years ago. Not once did he ever tell me off for reading it, saying, 'Mother, read me a less violent book. Enough with rabbit pies.' Mind you, he is, at this moment, blowing up soldiers on his playstation, so maybe there's a point there somewhere. 

Perhaps my next course is not such a good choice, considering I'll have to read of Oedipus, and all the strange things that Zeus turned himself into in order to have his way with pretty ladies. What kind of stupid woman lets herself be seduced a swan - what was going on there? 

Anyway, I must go and do something vaguely connected to studying. Drinking coffee, for example. It wakes the brain up and will help me think creatively. Or a glass of wine and a bit of rubbish on tv, which will help me to relax and let ideas flow. Yes, let the wine flow. I mean, the ideas....

No comments:

Post a Comment