Wednesday 6 February 2013

Stop bugging me

My grandmother used to tell me that cold winters were good because they killed viruses and stopped you getting ill. Well, they missed the one that the children kindly shared with me this week. I actually stopped eating for a day, that's how bad I felt. Feeling guilty at having a couple of days off work, I tried to study but, after reading the same chapter of Harry Potter three times and still not understanding a word, I gave it up as a bad job and went to bed instead. We have lots of poorly people at school at the moment. If it's not making them achy and tired, it's giving them horrible colds with coughs like sea-lions. Staff are usually fairly immune to bugs, but not this time. I returned to work to find others suffering, including Mr Chaos. 

Now, I do want to point out here that his name is not meant in a bad way at all. I realise that chaos could be seen as being a mad jumble, but I meant it as being unpredictable (as drummed into me by my science teacher). I like unpredictability, so I'm using it as a compliment here. People who are organised and efficient tend to scare me a bit. They probably have very tidy houses and slip a plate under your biscuit in case you drop crumbs all over the carpet. Efficient people have tick-lists and know where their keys are. I like unpredictability (and mad jumbles, actually). My favourite teacher at high school was completely disorganised. He'd open the classroom door, peer at us all, and say, 'Should I be in here?' and then order a student to fetch his forgotten books from his car. We should have more teachers like that, to show children how to be more laid back and stop stressing over the unimportant things. Organised people have strict rules and expect you to stick to them. Disorganised people can't find their pen to write any rules down, and they can't borrow mine because I've lost it.

(Photo: Wikipedia)
This is something to do with the Chaos Theory.
I read it, but didn't understand a word, sorry. 

Anyway, back to bugs and other delights. Illnesses are another reason I prefer working with the older children. Not that they get less ill, but they can usually deal with it themselves. A teaching assistant from our infant class is brilliant at cleaning sick off carpets and clearing up accidents. I'm rubbish at it. After bringing up three children, you'd have thought I'd be okay, but I end up with watering eyes and need a sick bag for myself. I don't think I'm the only one. It's funny how many staff are suddenly needed on break duty when some poor child's been ill halfway down the corridor. 

I know there are lots of ill people about at the moment. If you're one of them, take care and hope you get better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment