Tuesday 6 November 2012

Sorry, but I don't do 'fun'...

The children had to vote today on how to raise money for 'Children in Need' on 16th November. They were given the options of coming to school in spotty clothes, pyjamas, or general non-uniform plus teddy. I was taking an infant class today (I know, I'm heavily into the wine tonight...) and the first few children I asked decided on the pyjama option. As much as I tried to dissuade them, more added their voices to this choice. 'Seriously?' I asked. 'Really? Are you sure?' Vigorous nods, and we ended up with a 20+ majority. I'm sorry, but I will not wear my pyjamas to school. Partly because I wear holey old Primark pyjama trousers with whatever t-shirts my sons have grown out of, but mainly because it's bound to be the day the rather lovely relief postman is working in the village. I do drive the quarter of a mile to school, but there is a road to cross, in full view of the high school bus. I have a reputation to keep up you know (ha ha, yeah, right... sigh...). Plus, pyjamas are for sleeping in, and I have enough trouble keeping awake during maths.


Actually, it's not the worst idea I've seen - the 'Children in Need' website is encouraging people to 'Go Bear-faced' on 9th November. The theory is that you're sponsored to go without make-up for the day. Now, I was once seen without make-up by one of the school governors on a field trip to Cumbria, and it was an experience neither of us wants to repeat. To expose children to the horror of a dozen members of staff with no make-up would be cruel and uncaring. And anyway, the 9th is a Friday, and I need a double layer of pan-cake by then.

So it looks like it'll be pyjama day, once all the votes have been collected and counted. Mr Chaos said his class all voted for pyjamas, and he's already planning to buy a cow onesie, complete with udder...

I have ten days to convince the children that I wear jeans to bed. 

2 comments:

  1. See, now I'd LOVE to wear pajamas to work. But then I have a few pairs of fleece jammies that are nice and cozy. And I rarely wear make-up. It's just how I roll...

    Maybe you should take this as a nice excuse for new pajamas bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea - I love an excuse to go shopping!

      Delete