Saturday 17 November 2012

I'm kind of studying...

I'm sitting here in the little computer room (which is actually just the hallway with the front door blocked off), pretending to study. I have a creative writing book open in front of me, a few post-its scattered around, and an Open University tab open on the computer, just in case anyone comes past. I have actually been fairly good today - I've finished looking through Treasure Island for examples of fatherhood, I've got a page of notes, and I've opened a new word document ready. That'll do for today. Tomorrow I may type a few bits and delete them again. I kind of know what I want to write about, which makes a nice change. I also have a better idea for my creative writing assignment. My story about the scarlet fever outbreak in the village has been shelved as being complete twee-rubbish and far too Larkrise to Candleford, so my young village school-teacher can rest easy in that I'm not going to kill her off. My new idea combines:



with:


They're just the pictures that fired off an idea, anyway. Probably to be shelved as rubbish sometime in the near future... 

Advice I've seen is to write what you know, and I did used to work in a bookshop. (I was terrible. I was 18 and hated, hated answering the phones, which got me into no end of trouble. They were probably hugely relieved when I left to move to Norfolk.) That 'write what you know' thing is rather worrying, I think. A friend once lent me a book about a man who killed people and left a dead bird sewn inside them. And then there's American Psycho, which I couldn't actually finish. 

I read somewhere that the books you choose can say a lot about your character. I'm not sure whether I disagree with that or just find it disturbing. For example, I enjoyed Last Exit to Brooklyn; well, 'enjoyed' is probably the wrong word, but you get what I mean. However, I don't really identify with drug dealing prostitutes who end up... well, anyway... I just think my bookshelves say that I'll give most things a go. Not the activities in Last Exit, I hasten to add, I meant books...

As a total contrast, a child at school has just lent me 'Jacky Daydream', by Jacqueline Wilson, which I'm loving. And which I must go and continue reading...





No comments:

Post a Comment