Saturday 24 November 2012

My brain hurts

I've given up on the assignment-writing for today. I've worked every spare minute for the last three or four days and have ended up with 5000 words of notes for a 2000 word essay. And I'm not even sure if I'm sticking to the question. I'm just pleased that I've already read the set books once, and was able to enjoy them before picking them to pieces and analysing them. Apparently Long John Silver's missing leg is actually a reference to the fear of castration that all little boys suffer. Oh please!!! For the last assignment in the Children's Literature course, we learnt that Little Red Riding Hood is really about sex. Of course. Isn't everything??

 


I do like to re-read favourite books, but having to read, re-read, skim, and make notes from any book is enough to make me hate them. I'm really not into book-burning, but I'm not sure if Little Women is going to make it to the end of next week...

I'm not looking forward to picking apart Mortal Engines, because that was a brilliant book, and I want to read the rest of the series, but I'm worried that studying Junk will make me actually use the stuff, because I hated that book with a passion. 

Anyway, as I said, I've given up for today. I need another coffee and to sit down and watch some rubbish on tv. I'm a Celebrity is probably sufficient mental-slobbery, but I'll top it up with some Strictly Come Dancing. See you soon, if my brain hasn't melted.


2 comments:

  1. Loved your post - it gave me a good reason to ditch my work for 10 minutes and laugh! hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you - how kind! I will keep plodding on. Children's poetry next, which sounds much easier to get my head around, but I think I may be proved wrong yet again! x

    ReplyDelete