Tuesday 18 March 2014

Running out of time

Just three weeks to go until I can return to the year 6s. I think one of the things I like least about teaching (after the paperwork - that's definitely first on the list) is that I know what I'll be doing each day. As a teaching assistant, I rarely know in advance which children I'll be working with, or what the lesson plans are going to be. Sometimes I get a detailed plan when I'm covering lessons, but other times I'm given a panicky look and am asked what I fancy doing. I like a bit of chaos, and that's not meant to happen when I'm teaching (although sometimes it does...) I rather miss it. 

I have enjoyed some bits. The Bad Boys have turned themselves around, and are now just cheeky, but quite wonderful, characters. I have had lovely comments from some parents (and I have learnt to smile and say the right things whilst being interrogated by others). But teaching is making my life whizz past too quickly. 

It seems like I get into school at 8, and half an hour later, it's 3.30 and the children are going home. Each week is flying by, and I'm not getting time to enjoy the present. What's helped to bring this into perspective is that my dad has recently found out he has prostate cancer. He's had various tests, including a biopsy, and is waiting to find out whether the cells are the type to spread quickly. I know that it's a type of cancer that can often be kept under control, but that doesn't make the waiting any easier. I'm just glad he asked for a blood test. He was having one anyway, for an unrelated issue, and just asked for his PSA levels to be checked. A week later, he was booked in for an operation. 

When I asked why men weren't routinely checked for the cancer, I was told it was because 'they don't bother to attend', which I found hard to believe. However, my dad has been encouraging his friends to get tested and was told, by every one, 'I'd rather not know,' or 'I haven't got time,' or even, 'I don't like the sound of those tests.' Amazing.

So, time is precious. Family even more so. I know the next three weeks will pass quickly, and then life can slow down again and I can pay attention to the important things. 






 (Photo: Dandelion Wish. Courtesy of John Liu on flickr.)

2 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts and prayers for your dad. My wife went through cancer three times and I know what a trying time it can be. The wait for test results can seem interminable. The anxiety is pervasive. And yes this it what puts everything into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind thoughts - I really do appreciate it.

      Delete