Friday 21 March 2014

Books and coffee

Ms Fab and I went to a 'conference' at a library today. I put the word in inverted commas because it makes me think of boring men in suits and ties talking about politics and such like. Ours was entitled, 'Developing a rich reading and writing culture at key stage 2'. In other words, getting juniors enthusiastic about literacy. I was told about the conference meeting gathering confabulation around Christmas, and asked if Ms Fab could come with me, partly because I knew she'd love it, and partly because I'm a coward and don't like going to courses on my own. 

Anyway, the end of March arrived in a huge rush, like ends of months are doing at the moment, and we set off at 7.45 this morning thinking that, even if the day was a waste of time, at least we were missing maths and getting a free lunch. We arrived in plenty of time, so helped ourselves to tea and biscuits, and decided to take the huge risk of sitting in the front row, reserving our seats by leaving heaps of coats, books and pens on them. There was a bookshop, so we browsed and noted titles that we would later buy on Amazon (wince). 

I started feeling the day would be worthwhile when we were welcomed, and taken through the programme, by a librarian wearing a dress that Ms Fab is probably ordering online right this minute. Things got more interesting still when Dee Shulman, author and illustrator, gave her talk. She quickly sketched her latest character on a flip-chart, and said, 'Sorry, that's dreadful,' while we all sighed and wished we could draw even half as well. I had a private fantasy of ripping the picture off the board and shoving it in my bag on my way out, but thought better of it. 

Then came a talk on new trends in children's publishing. Not the highlight for me, and I spent the time looking along the library bookshelves and mentally picking books to read. And then it was coffee time again.



Next up was a talk on myths and legends by Carnegie Medal winner, Kevin Crossley-Holland. He had been sitting next to Ms Fab and chatting to us about the deer in the forest, and the next minute he was telling everyone how he had been mentored by W. H. Auden and Tolkien. I think the word my younger friends would use is 'fangirling', but it meant I couldn't possibly say another word to him, because I was not worthy. I wanted to get a book from the shop for him to sign, which he was doing for other people, but I was too shy to ask. Idiot. (Me, not him.) 

After lunch and more coffee, was a talk from a teacher who had filled his school with enthusiasm for reading. He had so many amazing ideas that Ms Fab and I were scribbling identical notes at top speed. Apparently, at his school, the teachers all have laminated signs on their doors saying, 'Mr Whoever is reading........' and they write the name of the book they're on. The Husband said it's just as well he's not a teacher as his would read, '.....the cricket report in the newspaper.' But there were loads of ideas we want to adopt. In fact, Ms Fab and I have decided to take over every English lesson in the school, but we've not asked the Boss Lady yet. What I have asked her, via an e-mail I started writing when I'd been home for thirty seconds, is 'Can Ms Fab and I start an after-school club called "Not a Reading Group"?' and 'Can we do a school book-blog, if I promise I'll do all the work?' I've not had a reply yet. She's probably trying to work out how to say 'no' without upsetting me. 

Anyway, the last speaker was poet Brian Moses (look up 'Walking with my Iguana,' which is about someone who really used to walk his iguana along Hastings beach). He did say the unforgivable, 'I need you to join in,' but actually, he was rather fun and had some brilliant ideas for getting the imagination working. 

I really needed today. I was beginning to feel rather down, with everything that's been going on lately, but books, coffee, Ms Fab, and exciting ideas have made me feel quite a bit better. Let the next couple of weeks pass quickly, then hopefully Ms Fab and I can introduce madness and mayhem after school.


Image courtesy of Apolonia/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment