Saturday 19 January 2013

I can't think of any more puns on snow

Well the huge amounts of snow we were forecast have failed to materialise. School was closed for a couple of days, but we went back on Friday - just until lunchtime, as there were blizzards on the way. They're taking an awfully long time to arrive. I know our part of the country is a lot better off than some others, so if you're snowed in, grab the biscuits and stay warm. We've had just enough for the children to play in, but now the novelty's worn off, the snow has turned to ice, and people are starting to moan. We're such a load of light-weights here in England, I know. It's just that we only have a fortnight of snow a year, so we get terribly excited about it all and then everything grinds to a halt.





Open Uni-wise, I've decided the next course will be 'Myth in the Greek and Roman world'. I've heard loads of good things about it, and only one complaint - that it's too much literature and not enough history, which actually suits me fine. Mind you, I can't register for the course until March, so I may have changed my mind several times before then. I know I wanted to do 20th Century Literature, but people on that forum are using words I have to look up, and still don't understand, so I may leave that one until my brain has had a bit more of a workout. 

For Children's lit, I'm enjoying reading the first Harry Potter and Tom's Midnight Garden. I hadn't realised that TMG was set near to where I live - it mentions Ely and skating on the fen rivers in the late 1800s. The thing is, I'm enjoying the reading so much that I'm forgetting to look out for relevant quotes. I get carried away and have to go back half a dozen chapters to pick meanings apart. Actually, I think it's a great excuse to sit and watch all of the Harry Potter films again. Purely for research purposes, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment