Monday 7 January 2013

Here we go again...

Well, that's it - the holidays are over and it's time for school again tomorrow. It was staff training today, and I promise you that I didn't touch the chocolate tin in the staff room. Mainly because there were only toffees left, and I'm far too scared of my dentist to risk losing a filling. 

The Christmas decorations have all come down, thankfully. I can't wait to get rid of them after the event is over. I'd be quite happy to pack everything away on Boxing Day, but my husband won't let me. He's only just taken down the embarrassing lights from around the roof.

I'm just realising what a killjoy I'm seeming. So far on this blog, I've admitted that I only party under pressure, refuse to wear my pyjamas to school (Children in Need day) and want to pack away the tinsel at the first opportunity. I'm not a miserable cow, honestly. I can quote a Christmas picture from the class that says I'm nice and 'mack school fun'. Yes, I know, that was the picture I nearly confiscated when I saw it being passed around the classroom...Bearing that in mind, have I made any pertinent New Year's resolutions? Um...no.

 
(Photo: lolsnaps.com)


I don't think I've ever made a New Year's resolution. Which at least means I've never broken one, either. So, what could I do? I don't smoke... so I could always start. No, seriously, I have no bad habits I want to break. Drinking red wine is good for your heart once you're over a certain age, I hear. I'm not at that certain age yet, but I will be one day, so I'm getting in lots of practice (or even practise...Where's a grammar Nazi when you need one?). I tend to leave things to the last minute, as you know, but my friend tells me that working to a tight deadline crystallizes your thinking, and I'm all for that. What else? Eat healthily? Nahhhhh. 

Maybe I could stop moaning about things. I do tend to whinge: 'Brownies tonight? Ohhhhh, I really don't want to go. Why did I agree to do Brownies?' And then I go, and the girls are great and make me laugh, and I like to think I help them have a good time. 'Lunchtime philosophy club? Ohhhhh, I wish I'd never mentioned it.' And then I go, and the children amaze me and remind me how great they are, and maybe a few minds have been opened a bit. 'Start of term? Ohhhhh, the holidays were too short, I don't feel like school again.' And then I go, and remember that 99% of the children are wonderful and I've missed them an awful lot. And even the horrible ones are lovely for a few days. 

Oh, all right then. I'll stop moaning. And I really don't have anything to moan about. Not really. I love my job, and the children are brilliant, and I miss them when it's the holidays. I'm also enjoying Open University, even though I moan about that, as well. Two assignments have been handed in during these holidays, I'll have you know...and I never want to read children's poetry again. No, shut up, I liked them really. My family are brilliant, I've got nothing to moan about there, and I don't think my children hate me too much. My husband puts up with an awful lot: 'Do you mind if I enrol on another OU course for September? What? Oh, yes, it is the same price as the last one. Sorry. And I'll need a big pile of books, too...' I just hope he's not making a resolution to curb my book-buying, as I've decided to study 20th Century Literature next. 'Yes, I will need a brand new copy of "Rebecca", dear husband. I know I've already got two, but all the pages are falling out...' I hope it won't mean divorce, as I've got quite fond of him over the past 22 years, but books, come on, that's important...


No comments:

Post a Comment