Monday 6 January 2014

Moving the goalposts

Staff training today, and while the rest of the staff did a day of first aid, Ms Fab, Auntie Mo and I got some classroom jobs done. First, I had to cover the largest board in the year 6 classroom with backing paper. The old paper is always very satisfying to remove, with much ripping, scrumpling and stamping on (otherwise it doesn't fit in the recycling bin, honest...). Putting the new paper up, however, takes ages. It never seems to go up straight and the new rolls of paper always finish two feet before I need them to, meaning a patch of never-matching-colour has to be stuck on the end. 

After this, I loitered in Mr Chaos's classroom, where Ms Fab and Auntie Mo were working in a much more professional manner. Their jobs finished, we made a start on putting the new football goals together. We decided to do this in the classroom (I don't know why. Laziness, probably), and Mr C. demonstrated (using one of the old goals) that it would easily fit through the door. It was only when he'd gone back to his first aid training, and we'd made up one of the goals, that we discovered the old goal was not quite the same shape. Enlisting the help of another teaching assistant, we managed to man-handle the goal outside, but made the second one outside to save on swearing and classroom-display-destruction. 


...or not.


While this was going on, I asked Ms Fab how she'd got on in the past, when she'd asked the Boss Lady for some holiday time. My parents have a time-share apartment in Funchal, Madeira. The Daughter and Son Number One have both been out there (being thoroughly spoilt by the grandparents) and, over Christmas, The Husband and I were asked if we'd like to go. Only it would be in November - in school time, and I felt it was a bit of a cheeky thing to ask the Boss Lady for, when we get so much holiday time already. Ms Fab said not to worry and to ask anyway, which I promised I would do. Later. 

The goals finished, Auntie Mo went off to organise a much-dreaded dental appointment, and Ms Fab emptied most of Mr Chaos's cupboards into the bin (she took great delight in finding some maths work from 2002). Her swearing got worse during her cupboard-clearing than when she was putting the nets on the goals. 'We don't even use these books in this class!' she exclaimed. 'So that's where all the blu-tak is!' Eventually, she was just reduced to crying, 'Why??!' and hurling sheets of paper about. Auntie Mo returned in time to calm everything down. 'Well, that's my appointment sorted,' she grimaced, and then she turned to me, 'and your holiday's got the okay, too.' She had explained to the Boss Lady that I was being completely spineless (although I'm sure, being Auntie Mo, she'd said it much more diplomatically) and had sorted the whole thing out for me. 

Tomorrow, the whole school (four coaches) is off to the pantomime. Oh joy. 

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't find the new spelling resources that Boss Lady bought me. They were in one of the cupboards - any thoughts ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I don't think they went bin-wards. You know who to blame if they did...

      Delete