Tuesday 28 January 2014

Getting prepared

There's just a week and a bit to go until I take over the running of our year 2/3 class at school. Because of this, I have done the following:

  • Given in shorter notice at Brownies (tomorrow will be my last Brownie night). Ms Fab is jealous, and has suggested that I lie to Brown Owl and tell her that Ms Fab is needed, urgently, as an assistant. 
  • Spent some time with the class teacher, who showed me how to do the boring, paperwork bits. 'I've got a lesson plan somewhere,' he told me, burrowing through piles of paper. 'Hmm, maybe not... I'll print another one. Oh, that's where that book went.' I am reassured that no-one who enters that particular classroom will be expecting tidiness. The teacher said he'll transfer all of his plans onto my school laptop. (Yes, I'm going to be trusted with a laptop. Bad move.) I've never seen someone with their stuff organised into more folders that are inside other folders. He did say I could text him if I couldn't find something because, 'If you're looking for it on here, it could take you twenty minutes to find it.' 
  • Started to relax a bit, after finding out that nobody is as organised as I thought they were. They do a good impression of it, and they must show me how to do the same. After stressing about writing lesson plans that included everything, the phrase I have heard most often is: 'Oh, I don't bother with that bit.' Even the most organised teacher (at least, I think she is - maybe she's just a good actor) told me, 'The lesson plans are just so you remember what you're doing. No-one's going to look at them apart from you.' Ohhhhhhh.... And there I was, thinking I wouldn't have any weekends for the next two months. And I've even checked on Google: 'Do Ofsted inspectors look at lesson plans?' The answer seems to be that it's polite to leave one out, but you won't get judged on it, because they come in all shapes and sizes (plans, not Ofsted inspectors).
I have always known I work with the best people ever, but I've been completely overwhelmed by the kindness and support from every member of staff. One teacher has offered to write plans for a whole half-term's phonics lessons for me. Another has said, 'Come and see me if you're getting stressed. I'll show you how to do things.' Teaching assistants have been genuinely pleased that I've got this opportunity to take a class. One has already made plans for me to take over when her teacher retires, then she and Ms Fab started to argue over who was going to be my TA. Even the children in that class are being enthusiastic about it all. One boy told me this afternoon, 'I'm really looking forward to you taking our class, because your writing's neater than our teacher's.' 



I just hope I don't bugger up, but it seems I'll have plenty of people to cover for me if I do...
 

3 comments:

  1. If you're wondering about my (relative) silence on the matter, it's because you are a more competent teacher than me anyway, so there's little point in me offering much. However, I have taught Y3s for the previous three years so I can offer suitable resources, should they be needed. If I can locate them, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More competent?! No! For example, I spent ages with a maths group yesterday, tying their brains in knots over a word problem on racing. It took me ages to realise that people who ran faster had shorter times. We were all convinced that 'bigger numbers were better'. I was even confusing myself. And this afternoon, I nearly lost my voice, I grumbled at the chatterers so much, and they still ignored me. You probably heard me through the wall...

      Delete
    2. And, thank you, I will certainly come to you if I need things. Like alcohol, and such-like.

      Delete