Monday 23 September 2013

Now look what you made me do

I have signed up for a day's course at the end of October, and I'm dreading it already. It's Ms Fab's fault. 

There was a bit of paper in the staff room, advertising a course: understanding and supporting children and young people with conduct and behavioual difficulties. Looks good, I thought. It carried on from one I did last year on children's emotional health, so I thought I might ask the Boss Lady if I could go, but then I read on a bit: 'We want people to be as involved as possible,' it said. 'We will include group exercises... and games...' I put it down rather quickly and left the room at some speed. 

A few minutes later, I met Ms Fab and moaned about the inclusion of jollity in courses. I am very much in the Eeyore camp here: 'We can't all, and some of us don't. That's all there is to it.' However, Ms Fab is into Fun and Joining In and thinks I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to all that. 


I did really want to do the course, especially as there is one particular child I work with this year who I'm about to string up from the ceiling. And that would get me sacked. Which I'm beginning to care less about as the weeks go on. (But games?! I had to play Fizz, Buzz at a maths course once and I got in a right mess because everyone else was quicker at their times tables than me.) Ms Fab wanted to do the course, and wanted me to stop being such a wimp and go with her. So I said yes, and she raced into the Boss Lady's office and it was all official before I had a chance to say, 'Actually...'

Mrs Secretary said I'll be fine, and I can be an idiot for the day because I won't know anyone and will never see them again. But we go on these courses and mutter to each other about other people, 'I know her from somewhere... was it that stupid maths thing that was such a waste of time?' I'm bound to bump into someone later who remembers me as that idiot from the behaviour course.

Thinking about it, though, that won't happen. I'm going with Ms Fab. The lady from Up North who likes to ask, 'Why?' and argue with people. They won't remember me. They'll be muttering, 'I know her. From the behaviour course. You know. Pink sparkly shoes. Northerner. Beat the tutor to a pulp.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment