Sunday 15 September 2013

Cornwall

As we drove through the rain to the climbing wall this morning, I found the map of Cornwall that I'd shoved in the pocket of the passenger door. When we have our lottery win, I'm definitely moving down there (whether the rest of the family want to join me is up to them...). We were lucky enough to have a week of sunshine there at the end of August, but even in the rain (which we had last year) it's such an amazing place. I love the sea, and whilst the coast around our region is nice in places, it has nothing on the dramatic cliffs and caves and roaring waves of Cornwall. 



The Bedruthan Steps,
 on the north coast of Cornwall

When I was young, we didn't have any holidays abroad. Instead, we thoroughly explored Britain. The Bedruthan Steps was my favourite place. The beach can only be accessed at low tide, and there are caves to explore, arches through the cliffs to clamber through to reach further beaches, and rock pools to wade in. There is also the danger of being cut-off as the tide returns. Last year, there was a rain-storm when we visited. It was low tide, but the rain poured down the cliffs and we had to walk faster and faster to get back to the 50-something steep steps up the cliff. Thankfully, the sun shone on this year's visit. I think it's hugely satisfying when your children love the same things you do, and I had no complaints when the Bedruthan Steps was first choice for Son Number One's visits. 

Son Number Two wanted to go to St Michael's Mount, a visit that was again spoilt last year (we'd just walked the length of the causeway to the island when everything was closed because of storms).


The harbour at St Michael's Mount

When the tide is out, the island can be reached via a cobbled causeway, but we were too early for that, so caught one of the little ferry boats that continually potter back and forth. After a wander around the castle and a stop for an ice cream, we were able to walk back. We discovered that people actually live on this tiny island, but I imagine I'd need a pretty hefty lottery win to join them. 

Next on the list was a visit that none of us were quite sure about (and by 'us', I should have said I mean me, The Husband, Son Number One plus Girlfriend, Son Number Two, and The Daughter who actually lives in Cornwall but joined us for most days). Someone had picked up a leaflet for Adrenaline Quarry. The place boasted the longest zip wire in England, plus various other heart-stoppers. So, who was going to give it a go? The boys were up for it; The Daughter wasn't sure, and The Husband and I wanted to see people survive it first. 


Son Number One and The Girlfriend

We all ended up having a go. It took us the length of the lake in the photo and was great fun, but only lasted 45 seconds (Son Number Two timed it. He's like that. He'd have thought nothing of working out the average speed we traveled at, had we wished to know).

One of my favourite visits was to The Lost Gardens of Heligan, which was originally for the benefit of The Husband, who's a gardener. I hadn't seen the tv series about the Victorian garden's restoration, but my dad often raved about it, so we thought it was worth a visit on our last day. It was gorgeous. And I found a sculpture that I'd seen loads of times on the internet, but not actually realised where it was from. 






The Husband has told me we've not won the Euro Millions, so must make do with living where we are, but I do feel rather jealous of all The Daughter's photos on Facebook, where she's just driven off to those beautiful beaches with her friends. And the Cornish cider... Hmmm, I forgot to write about the visit to the cider farm: one for next time, I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment