Sunday 21 July 2013

Must try harder

Ms Fab and I returned to the climbing walls this morning. We thought we better go back as soon as possible, before we forgot how to tie the right knots. Mrs GSOH's husband was ill, so she couldn't come with us this time. Well, that's what she said, anyway. I'm wondering if she just wanted to see if we came back undamaged before committing herself to more climbing with us. Despite us both admitting we couldn't quite remember the order of things when someone wanted to start an abseil, Ms Fab and I pretended we knew what we were doing and had a go anyway. This was partly because we realised there was a camera on the ceiling, which connected to the tv on the reception desk. I had a picture in my head of a crowd of sports instructors gathered around it, shaking their heads and laughing. They would then all nudge each other and point at us as we left the building. I don't think that happened. 



Yeah, we might go outside one day.
If there's a pub nearby...

Actually, the worst bit was as we were paying to go in. We had to pick up our new 'You're-allowed-to-use-the-climbing-wall' cards, and were told we had to have our photos printed on them for security reasons. 'But it's Sunday morning!' Ms Fab protested. Nevertheless, it had to be done. So we now own cards with scary-looking Sunday-morning faces on them. And, no, I'm not going to show you. 

After tying knots that looked relatively similar to the ones we'd been shown, we climbed up and down several routes, then looked around for what to do next. 'Let's try that one,' I can't remember who said it, but they need shooting. It had weird leaning bits and angles. Ms Fab did an amazing Spiderman job on the way up, but came down quicker than she was expecting. Then it was my turn and I got stuck halfway. Ms Fab tried to show me how to do it, but she'd forgotten. I bet the people around that tv were loving it. She did manage to climb it again, but by then my hands were seizing up. We've decided we'll do that route first next time, before we're too worn out. 

Yes, we have every intention of going back, if only to make Mrs GSOH climb the tricky wall. We need to start getting kitted out, though. We found out that slippy hands and climbing do not go together. Slippy hands and crashing to the floor go together, so we're going to get some chalk rather than just stealing bits that other climbers have left behind. We were lucky that we were on our own this morning. I'm sure there will come a time when we're in the presence of burly climbing men, in which case we need to give the impression we know what we're doing. Either that, or we'll just stand there and watch them. I knew there was a good reason for starting all this rubbish. 

2 comments:

  1. That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time! Thank you for sharing to make us smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that's incredibly kind :-)

    ReplyDelete