Monday 15 July 2013

Driving me up the wall

On a past post, 'Fab Friday', I mentioned how Ms Fab, Mrs GSOH and I were going indoor climbing. Well, we've done it. We listened and learned, and our instructor didn't end up a sobbing heap on the floor. We've climbed up, abseiled down, helped each other to abseil down without letting them plummet to the ground, and went and celebrated with an argument about who was paying for drinks in the bar afterwards. Good times. Ms Fab is going to put some photos on facebook later, as some people didn't actually believe we were going through with it. 'Is it another sky-diving thing?' we've both been asked. Yes, we both want to do a charity sky dive, for Alzheimer's research, and it's been talked about a lot, but that's as far as we've got. WE WILL DO IT. We decided yesterday. Nag me, please. If I'm still going on about it in a year's time, nag me. Make me feel guilty. 


Not me. But you get the idea. Add a bit of 
swearing and an instructor in hysterics and 
you've got it. 

As those photos of yesterday's climb go on facebook, I may stick one on here. Probably not of me, though. Most of the photos show backsides in harnesses. It's not pretty. I may post a photo of Ms Fab's backside as it's far slimmer than mine. I do now have an incentive to stay slim. Or to become slim, even. When belaying (I know the proper word now, as opposed to 'letting someone slide down the wall'...) we discovered we could cope with each other's weight okay. 'Can we still do this for people who are... bigger than us?' Mrs GSOH asked the instructor. 'Yes,' he said, 'but you may need sand-bags to help you hold their weight.' At the bar afterwards, we decided we would never become sand-bag people. Just one extra cake in the staff room could result in the embarrassment of a sand-bag being added to the belay rope, so someone could cope with the added weight. When Ms Fab unwraps another toffee, I shall whisper, 'sand-bag,' to her, and watch her put it back. Either that or she'll deck me. 

On another note, I have a thank you to make. My fellow blogger, at Lessons in French has nominated me for a blogging award. Many thanks, my friend. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog, and comments like yours make the whole thing worthwhile. Pop over and check her blog out. Her writing is great and makes me think (and it takes a lot to make me do that these days). I've never had a blogging award before, and I'll do the acceptance bits in my next post, once I've had a ponder. Thanks again - it's much appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. Such a pleasure my compatriot - you are far better behaved than me these days with all your great new reads! I have some catching up to do, And many thanks for lovely words x

    ReplyDelete