Sunday 23 September 2012

It Shouldn't be Aloud

Yet another lesson, for the oldest children at school, on grammar. The lesson that we have to repeat several times a year for those who "don't get it". I know I'm going to sound like my grandmother here, but when I was at school, we "got it" because we were smacked over the knuckles with a ruler if we got it wrong. They've taken all the fun out of teaching...

The lesson was how to use there/their/they're, as well as allowed/aloud and so on. I'm not as obsessed as Mr Chaos, the Grammar Nazi, but the misuse of these words really bugs me. I don't mind the odd spelling mistake, and if someone has a problem with words, I'll go with it, but otherwise it's a red pen moment. 


It's probably another sign I'm getting old. We used to laugh at our old Graphics teacher for not shopping somewhere that didn't use apostrophes correctly in their signs (she also refused to let foreign cars into queues), but I find myself doing the same. 'No, we're not buying "strawberry's", let's go somewhere else...' That's another pet hate, and one the children no doubt sarcastically chant along with me: 'Just because it ends in "s", doesn't mean it has an apostrophe...'




No doubt this will now be re-read with an agenda of finding any grammatical mistakes...

See how I'm getting better at my blogging? We have pictures!! This is mainly due to me winning a fight with my internet provider. I now have unlimited downloads (and much smaller bills), something which I intend to grossly misuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment