Thursday 15 May 2014

Suffering And Trauma over for another year

The SATs tests have finished, and the year 6s are as high as kites. The children have spent each morning this week sighing and groaning over maths and English tests that are used to put them in the correct streams in high school and, incredibly, to predict their GCSE results in 5 years' time. 

Early on Monday, some of the children realised that, although they've been doing practice papers for the past few weeks, they didn't actually know what 'SATs' stood for. They sat there, staring at each other and saying, 'Ummm... errrmm... what about... no, I don't know.' 'I bet it's got the word "test" in it,' suggested one, eventually. It didn't give me great hopes for spectacular test results. 

Ms Fab, Mrs GSOH and I had to read maths test questions for some strugglers, which is something I really hate doing. I feel so mean, just reading the questions out and having to answer all of the children's panicky queries with, 'I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to tell you that.' I try very hard to use telepathy: 'B is 45...' I think, hard. 'It's 45, write 45... oh, dammit....' I really must work on my psychic abilities. 

Actually, what I should be working hard at is my OU course, but it's not happening yet. I've registered for my October module (religion and controversy - yes, I really did make a decision), but I keep thinking about that week off at half term and how I'll catch up then. I'm sure the enthusiasm will return once I make a proper start. Hmmmm........


No comments:

Post a Comment