Friday 21 February 2014

Films and books

Having finished my work and run out of books I feel like reading, I've been catching up on tv I've recorded over the last few months. I've realised that I record far too much. I have 92 episodes of House to watch. Yes, I had to read that number a couple of times. I seem to record rather a lot of the 'man's life falls apart. Man moves into the wilderness and builds a boat' type of films. Son Number One tends to wander in, roll his eyes and wander out again, usually after a comment about 'another one of your crap films.' Listen, son, just because my films don't feature helicopters and machine guns doesn't mean they're bad. Although this morning's - girl drops out of law school to help a friend run an ice cream van - was not the best, I'll admit. 


Image courtesy of Idea go/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Son Number Two pointed out that The Book Thief is now in the cinema. I really don't know whether to see it or not. It's one of my favourite books, and I don't know if the film is going to totally ruin it for me or not. I don't want to be one of those annoying people in the cinema that keeps whispering, 'Well, that didn't happen in the book.'

I found the film adaptation of The Hobbit so annoying that I don't know if I'll see the final one (the first one nearly made me fall asleep, so I had to try the second one to see if it got any better). World War Z was completely different to the book, so much so that I was able to view it as something that just shared a title. I know that we're meant to get all snobbish about it all, and say that the books are better. I think most of the time it's true, but my children enjoyed the Harry Potter films more than the books, and Into the Wild is a gorgeous film, but I hated the book. 

I do regret not going to see The Road at the cinema. Cormac McCarthy's book was so good that I avoided the film, but I was bought the DVD as a present, and it was brilliant. Between a Rock and a Hard Place was also okay as the film 127 Hours

And then there are the films that should have been books: The Book of Eli, set in a post-apocalyptic future in which The Bible is carried to a place of safety; The Way, where a father follows in the footsteps of his dead son, by walking the Camino de Santiago. 

Actually, this post is really not helping, as I'm now adding to my viewing by piling up DVDs I've not seen for ages, and I've only got two more days until I'm back at work. 

Better go and watch an episode of House...



No comments:

Post a Comment