Saturday 21 December 2013

Huggy kissmas

School has broken up for the Christmas holidays, today is the Winter Solstice, and I haven't even got the tree or decorations out yet. Thanks to someone passing on the worst cold for years, I missed our staff Christmas do, along with the children's lunch and afternoon of singing in the school hall. Is this why I don't feel the slightest bit 'Christmassy'? Or is it that The Daughter can't get away from work this year, so we'll have our first ever Christmas without her? Or maybe that, even though it's meant to be the season of goodwill, there are still some people around who are determined to be grumpy and bitchy and to bring everyone else down with them. Or maybe I just haven't had enough wine yet. 

The last is easily rectified, thanks to Mrs GSOH, who bought me a gorgeous bottle of red wine 'from her children'. I know The Daughter will be having a wonderful time with her boyfriend's family down in Cornwall. Her presents have been sent, and she's up to date with her studies (or so she says...). I know the Christmas format will change now my children are growing up, and I know they're all happy, so I should stop moping. One of the grumpy people nearly got an earful from Ms Fab yesterday. 'If she moans at me,' Ms Fab informed me, 'I'm going to tell her to piss off.' I looked forward to it all afternoon, but it didn't happen, unfortunately. Lots of us have wanted to tell this person where to go, including The Boss Lady, but nobody has the courage. 

There were some very generous children (or parents, rather) this year. I have to confess now, that I have no willpower when it comes to saving presents for opening on the correct day. As soon as I get home on the last day of term, my sons hang around me like scrounging dogs. 'That one looks chocolate-shaped,' they point out. 'This one sounds like biscuits. That's a candle - open it later.' But the nicest thing I received? It was a hand-drawn card with the message, 'Thank you for always being there for me.' It was from a girl who reached womanhood at the ripe old age of eleven, and has found the resulting mood-swings and all that goes with them, confusing and utterly humiliating. If she found me a useful person to have around, then I'm glad. Sod subordinate clauses and algebra - that's what I want to be there for. 


Actually, the children have been the best thing for my lack of Christmas spirit. They've been very cheerful and have constantly demanded hugs from me and each other. A nice change from last year, when we ended up prising them apart due to violence rather than affection. I also received a lovely letter from a Jehovah's Witness child, who went to careful lengths not to mention Christmas or presents, but who wished me a 'restful holiday, with lots of nice books,' despite the fact that I'd not made her a librarian. As the children left at the end of the school day, The Bookworm wished me a 'stonkingly brilliant and huggy kissmas.' Thanks. Same to you. 

Whatever you celebrate at this time of year, I hope you have a good one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment