Thursday 20 June 2013

Learning the right lessons

It's nearly time to say goodbye to our year 6 children - most are going to the local high school, and will leave us soon to start their two-week induction period. Every year, we reach a time when we can see that they're ready to go. They've outgrown primary school, and are losing their childlike attitudes. Sadly, this year, there are several that I will not be sorry to see go. Some children have taken great delight in upsetting others. They have picked on weaknesses and been cruel and spiteful. I look forward to seeing the back of these characters. I know I shouldn't say it, but I think they'll get what they deserve at high school, when they'll no longer be the oldest in the school, enjoying intimidating others. As school staff, we've done our best to deal with their behaviour, but it's hard when some parents refuse to acknowledge this side of their children.

Despite this, I will miss the majority of the children. There is one girl in particular, who I've suddenly realised will leave a big, heart-shaped space when she leaves. She's struggled through school. She'll never be confident at maths or reading, but she seems to have learnt the important lessons that will get her through her life perfectly well. She cares about other people. She loves her family, even when her brothers exasperate her. She treats others with thoughtfulness and gentleness, and has never been one to argue and fall out with friends. I'll be quite lost without her. She reminds me when there are letters to be sent home at the end of the day. We had an assembly the other day about someone I wanted to find out more about, and she not only reminded me of his name, she wrote it on a post-it note and stuck it on my glasses case so I wouldn't forget again. Referring to her note, she said, 'It's probably not spelt right, but you'll get what I mean.'



She's learnt lessons that I feel are so much more important than algebra and adverbs, and she's learnt them from a caring and loving family. And it's lovely to see this side of things. So often, we see attitudes of arrogance or hate that have been passed down through angry parents, and are bound to keep going through the next generation, but it's good to see that love gets a look-in as well. I wish all of the children good luck, especially those who need to learn how to treat others with respect, but I'll remember with fondness this girl who spread a bit of friendship and laughter around.  

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. Is there some significance to that picture? I saw this awesome blog where the writer was also speaking about a Year 6 girl who he was going to miss like crazy and HE had hinted at her identity with a picture of a particular plant.

    ReplyDelete