Saturday 13 September 2014

Another course, another breakdown

The OU website for my new course has just opened, so the first thing I've done is read the essay questions. Bad move - I don't think I have enough wine for this course. The first assignment is: 'What opportunities and challenges do the responses of devotees and detractors provide scholars for writing the histories of controversial figures?' And that's just part one. It has to be answered in 'no more than 1500 words', which isn't that many. Still, 'errmmmmm....' is definitely less than 1500 words. 

After a bit of a panic and mouthing bad words, I went to the student forum to see how many people were asking for their money back and doing media studies instead. A seasoned OUer had posted something along the lines of 'It's meant to be difficult. If it's easy, you're not learning anything. When you've finished the course, you'll have achieved something.' To which dozens of people (including me, now) have said 'Thanks, you're absolutely right, of course. I'll stop panicking.' 


And why am I looking up questions that I don't even have to answer until November? Yes, I have another assignment due. Its the end of module assignment (the sort of exam bit) of my counselling course. It doesn't actually look that difficult (but I'm typing that bit quietly, in case fate overhears), so I really should crack on with it and get the course out of the way. I have banned myself from reading the books from the RE course until the essay is finished, and that's quite a good incentive, as they look interesting. The problem is, I want to read the bits on the Apocalypse in book four, rather than 'controversial figures' in the first book.

Okay, then. A strong cup of coffee and I'll get writing.  

4 comments:

  1. Interesting question! How did you get on with this topic? Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm loving the religions course (thankfully, as I have made some very expensive mistakes when choosing courses in the past). 74% for my first assignment, which isn't amazing, but I'm happy with. I'm still waiting for my final result for the counselling course. I should get it by Dec 5th. Fingers crossed! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Very well done! This is a topic that interests me greatly actually. Plenty of challenges, for example how much atheism is now used as a political tool, but cannot think of any opportunities.
    Sounds like you did very well- congratulations. I'll keep my fingers crossed about the counselling results too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated!

      I think religion's a fascinating subject. The next bit of the course is on 'controversial practices' and brings in veiling, holy wars and martyrdom, and the betrayal of trust, amongst other things. Well, it will do, if I actually start reading. I've been terribly side-tracked by 'Bravo Two Zero', which my son has made me read (and which I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought I would!).

      Delete